About The Funk...

Observational Spittle from the mind of a man of color in his 40s, without the color added (most times). Come in, laugh, and you may learn something...

90 Things That Irritate The Sh** Out Of Me Trailer

Friday, June 22, 2018

The Notes we should all listen to

Music is the way we should live life.

The first album I think I got on my own was Prince’s “Purple Rain” (I know, big shocker; I still actually have the vinyl from 1984).  I also spent anything I had on 45’s (you young folks may have to look that shit up).  Now a lot of my music was R&B or hip hop, I also had Queen, Bon Jovi, lots of top 40 stuff.  

I know the music I selected wasn’t meant for me.  I mean my cousin visited me here in IN once and looked at my sideways when a Metallica song came on in my playlist.

Now I wasn’t always that enlightened; I have mentioned in posts before that a former friend tried to turn me on to CCR (that’s Credence Clearwater Revival for those not inclined) and I thought it was “white music.”

Now don’t get me wrong, CCR wasn’t trying to reach folks in the Bronx with their sound.  

But as I learned about more and more styles of music, constantly seeking new music that I may not have been exposed to, I realize that even if the songs were written for a certain audience, music doesn’t give a shit who is listening to it, as long as it makes you feel SOMETHING.

I hear Chicago,I think of a lost romance.

I hear Chuck D spit, I am proud that a black man is speaking out at injustice.

I listen to Shawn Mendes....sigh, I hated the kid’s voice, but I have a soft spot for singer/songwriters...ok, not sure yet, I’ll get back to ya.

In short, a song always brings up some sort of memory or feeling, whether it is song by a boy or a girl, hip hop to grunge to classic rock to Mr. Nelson.  

I even has so many soundtrack scores I can’t count.

Shit, I have 500 “Glee” songs.

OK maybe I shouldn’t have admitted that, but while I have only watched 5 minutes of the pilot (just didn’t catch my interest) I love a great set of voices.

The point is that  we should be more like music; just a bunch of notes getting along to create something beautiful.  I think that is why the 25 minute drive to and from work 5 days a week is one of the few highlights of my life.  

It lets me imaging what we should be like, but no one wants to turn the dial to the right station.


No comments: