About The Funk...

Observational Spittle from the mind of a man of color in his 40s, without the color added (most times). Come in, laugh, and you may learn something...

90 Things That Irritate The Sh** Out Of Me Trailer

Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 reasons, to, well, not list 2010 reasons

Yawn.

My 7 year old son, who, w/o the assist of alcohol, stumbled to bed after watching his 8th ball drop last night. It was interesting, really, because he didn't know who the hell I was due to his delirium, and I think he thought I was a cross between a large Hershey's kiss and Fat Albert's older, less rotund cousin. He eventually grabbed his little security blanket, and stumbled up to bed.

My wife and I retired soon after, and as I drifted off to sleep, for a moment I put aside the difficulties financially my family has had the last 2 years, and began to reminisce a little bit, as a new decade begins, and I chuckled to myself, knowing that I, myself, am at the beginning of my 5th decade of being on the earth.

Seems a lot to me...nothing more than a "speck in the eye" for the Big Guy upstairs (if you believe in that sort of thing), but for we humans, it does seem like a long damned time. For example, in 2012, I will be out of high school 25 years. My formative decade, the 1980's (where the Walkman, Atari 2600, and the VCR were high ends of technology) ended TWENTY YEARS ago. I look at my chest hairs, and the grays are beginning to mount a furious offensive on the black ones. My formentioned zombie-fied son, who is a big time "Star Wars" fanatic, is so into it, it makes my involvement 33 years ago when the first "Star Wars" flick seems so ancient.

But years are but numbers, right? I mean, I definitely don't act like a 40 year old father of 2 (unless my kids tick me off, at which I become, in a lot of ways sadly, like my dad, w/an incredible lack of patience that makes my oldest cringe in fear (and folks, fear and respect are two TOTALLY different things), and my youngest using his cuteness and brains (he may have Down Syndrome, but the mind works great) to cry and make my anger quickly subside. I am pretty up on the music and trends of today, even tho the kids today (wow, holy parent speak, BATMAN!) make me shake my head, as that I begin to understand why my parents, well, shook their heads at the stripped Lee's, leather bombers, shell-toed Addidas, and the other urban styles of the 1980's that I grew up around.

My best friend says that I have a negative outlook on life. I've been told the same thing by my mom, aunts, uncles, the priest, I think Shaggy from "Scooby Doo", between puff, puff, passes....right before he fell into a drug coma. I have always said that not everyone could be lying, cuz it would take too much effort, and human beings are too damn lazy to be that organized. So, I am not a sunny, yay rah, life is gonna be great sort of guy. But hell, I try to at least hide it well (well, except for Yankee games in October, but well, I can't stand to lose).

I guess the point of all this is, well, 2010 is here, a new decade has arrived, who knows what technological advances we will have when we welcome in 2020, and maybe we may learn from the mistakes of the past...both on a personal as well as a world-view level.

Then again, as that that hasn't worked out for a millenia, I may be out of my friggin' gourd, and we'll start wars, certain people will still think of people of different races as niggers, spicks, wetbacks, slant-eyed, cheap money grubbing Jew, terrorist Muslim dumb asses, just because there are a few bad apples in the bunch.

Wow, is that my negativity again?

Or is that partial truth, hopeful dreams, but sobering reality talking?

Happy 2010...and oh yeah, will someone come and help me take down my decorations?

It's a pain in the crevice, ya know?

1 comment:

Angel Pagan said...

I know what you mean G. Time is passing us by and all we have to hold onto are the kids. Enjoy them while we still have them, my friend. Because, soon, they too will be gone. Off to make their own memories in time. :)